|Country of Origin||France|
|Age||3 months minimum|
|AOC||1990 (AOP 1996)|
|Milk||Raw Cow’s Milk|
|Weight and shape||5 to 15 kg (11 – 33 lb), wheel|
|Size||Diameter 40 to 46 cm (14 – 18 inches), Height 7.5 to 10 cm (3 – 4 inches)|
|Taste||Acidic, buttery, fruity, hazalnut, sweet, mild, bitterness (depending on season & aging)|
|Aroma||Strong, robust, nutty, mushroom, vegetation|
|Texture||Smooth, rich and hard rind|
|Pairing||Green apples, cornichons, fondue with vegetables, Condrieu, Beaujolais|
This hard cheese is made using three breeds of native cows: Montbéliarde, Tarines, and Abondance. To ensure that the quality of the milk remains consistent, the cattle are not fed silage or any other fermented fodder.
Tomme d’Abondance or in short, Abondance, is AOC-protected since 1990. In terms of aroma, this cheese is often being compared with Beaufort.
The Creation of Abondance
This cheese dates all the way back to the 11th century in the eponymous abbey which was managed by monks who used cheese as a currency.
It became incredibly popular after it made its debut on the table of conclave of Pope Clement VII in Avignon in 1381.
Abondance Tasting Notes
The hard rind is regularly rubbed with salt water which gives it bright orange and amber hues.
Similar to most alpine cheeses, Abondance has a taste of floral with tones hazelnuts and nice acidity. It imparts a slight bitterness on the finish.
But depending on the season and producer, this strong-smelling cheese has a taste of light or full flavoured.
How to Enjoy (PAIRING)
Abondance is the perfect cheese for fondue or melting on vegetables. You can also eat together with green apples and cornichons for a quick healthy snack.
Pairing with local white wine such as Condrieu, Viognier, and Roussette de Savoie would be excellent choices. Alternatively, you can also pair with red wine such as Beaujolais.
Our favorite cornichons to go along with Abondance:
- Maille Cornichons Original are pickled gherkins with an extra-tart bite.
- Maille Cornichons Original are harvested before reaching maturity for an extra-tart, zesty taste.
- Each cornichon in every jar of Maille Cornichons Original packs a zesty and flavorful punch that is perfect for livening up any dish.
- Add Maille Cornichons to your favorite gourmet sandwich, salads, and dips, or enjoy them as a tasty snack straight from the jar.
- Maille Cornichons Original are a perfect addition to your next party platter, charcuterie board, or as everyday condiments.
More Cheeses from France:
- Abbaye de Cîteaux
- Abbaye du Mont des Cats
- Abbaye de la Pierre-qui-Vire
- Abbaye de Tamié
- Bleu de Termignon
Last update on 2023-06-05 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API