|Country of Origin||France|
|Region||Midi-Pyrénées & Aquitaine|
|Age||2 to 24 months (Best at around 5 months)|
|Milk||Raw sheep’s milk (Ewe)|
|Weight and shape||5 kg (10 lb), Round|
|Size||Diameter 32.5 cm (13 inches), Height 7.5 cm (3 inches)|
|Taste||Mild, sweet and nutty when young; sharper with age|
|Pairing||Fruity red (young), full-bodied red (matured). Jam, honey, walnuts|
|Texture||Firm and supple paste|
|Color||Pale yellow, orange|
Ardi-Gasna is a Basque language which means “sheep’s cheese.” It comes to no surprise that this hard cheese is made from the milk of ewes grazing on the rich alpine pastures high in the Pyrenees.
Though this cheese is available all year-round, locals suggest that it is best consume during Spring and Summer as the milk is enriched by abundance of mountain spring grasses and flowers (which ultimately gives the cheese a more robust flavor).
The cheese is at its finest when a slight nutty taste develops around in the fifth month.
Ardi-Gasna Tasting Notes
It grows stronger and more robust with age and has a perfect contrast between mild and sharp. Nevertheless, even the youngest of Ardi-Gasna have a unique, nutty taste with a fresh and pleasant aroma.
How to Enjoy (PAIRING)
Serve this cheese with flavored jam, honey, walnuts on a cheese board or with green and/or fruit salads.
Pair matured Ardi-Gasna (more than 5 months) with full-bodied red wine such and young cheese with fruity red wine.
Our favorite Raspberry jam to go along with Ardi-Gasna:
- Tiptree has been growing fruit & making preserves since 1885 in Essex County, England. We grow a wide range of traditional fruits on the farm right next to our factory, producing some of the highest quality preserves & marmalades the world has tasted.
- We use traditional techniques including cooking the fruit in small batches using copper pans to make the highest consistent quality – each batch produces only 150 jars of product.
- Gluten free, made in a nut free factory, suitable for vegetarians.Kosher
- Easy to spread, enjoy this preserve on toast, biscuits, muffins, cheese, pastries or even as a cake filling.
- Visit our store to see all 49 Tiptree varieties
Where to Buy Ardi-Gasna:
- Formaggio Kitchen – $35.95 per lb
More Cheeses from France:
Last update on 2022-01-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API