|Country of Origin||France|
|Age||2 weeks to 2 months|
|Classification||Aged Fresh, Soft, Artisan|
|Milk||Unpasteurized Goat’s (or Sheep’s) Milk|
|Weight and shape||90 to 120 g (3 to 4 oz), Round|
|Size||Diameter: 6 to 7 cm; Height: 2.5 to 3 cm|
|Aroma||Strong, fruity, woody|
|Taste||Young: mild and lactic; Matured: nutty and goaty tang|
|Pairing||Fruity red or white wine, Provençal Rosé|
|Texture||Creamy, smooth, sticky|
First made by a couple in the village of Puimichel near the town of Banon in the Haute-Provence, the Banon is a historical cheese that date back to the Gallo-Roman era.
A speciality of the mountains of Lure in Provence, the Banon cheese is uniquely wrapped in layers of chestnut leaves and bound with raffia (some producers dip the leaves and raffia in vinegar or eau-de-vie for added flavour).
The cheese has been granted the AOC status in 2003.
Banon Tasting Notes
Banon has to be age for at least 2 weeks. When young, the flavor is mild and lactic but becoming more nutty and woody with age.
After prolong aging, the leaves tend to dry out causing blue and gray moulds to grow on and under the leaves which result in softening of paste and the flavor becoming more nutty with a distinct goaty tang.
How to Enjoy (PAIRING)
Banon is a companion of crusty baguette and black/red rice cracker. It also goes extremely well with most fruits and honey.
For wine pairing, you can serve both fruity red or white wine. If you are in the region, definitely go with Provençal Rosé for a special and unforgettable pairing.
Ou favorite black rice cracker to go along with Banon cheese:
- BLACK RICE CRACKERS: LAIKI Black Rice Crackers are plant based rice crackers that are 100% whole grain, vegan, gluten-free, Non-GMO, and delicious light, and airy crunch. We support natural and sustainable farming that avoids GMOs. We carefully craft each cracker to be nutrient dense, crunchy, and full of flavor. Unlike Japanese Arare or Senbei Rice Crackers, these are not hard or made from sticky rice flour.
- GREAT FOR SNACKING and PARTIES: Our Gluten Free crackers are crisp and delicious for scrumptious snacking straight from the package. These black rice crackers are perfect for snacking by themselves, or for pairing with dips, soups, and salad. For a feel-good snack, choose LAIKI GF crackers. Serve them with dips or top them with spreads to complement any event.
- SUSTAINABLY FARMED: LAIKI's grain free crackers are 100% wholegrain and certified vegan friendly by Vegecert. Our gluten free snacks are made from whole grain red rice we support organic and sustainable farming that avoids GMOs. We're proud participants in the Non-GMO Project and want our consumers to know where their food comes from.
- GRAINS OF HEALTH: Despite their delicious and complex whole-grain taste, they are made with only three ingredients: whole grain red rice, sustainably farmed palm oil, and sea salt. This means that they are very allergy-friendly crackers that are suitable for just about anyone, and of course, they are also gluten-free.These are suitable for anyone who likes a healthy snack cracker.
- CUSTOMERS SATISFACTION: We work hard for the satisfaction of our customers. If you have any kind of problem regarding our product we will fully co-operate in solving your problem. You should never feel any hesitation in contacting us. If you are not satisfied with our products then please reach out to us and we will happily answer your question.
Where to Buy Banaon:
More Cheeses from France:
Last update on 2022-01-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API