|Country of Origin||Greece|
|Region||Western and Central Macedonia, Thessaly|
|Classification||Fresh cheese, semi-hard, hard|
|Milk||Raw or pasteurized sheep’s and/or goat’s milk|
|Fat content||6% to 20%|
|Taste||Salty, sour, piquant, hint of spiciness|
|Weight||2.25 lb (1 kg)|
|Size||Length: 8 inches (20 cm); thickness: 4 inches (10 cm)|
|Ingredients||Goat’s milk, thistle rennet, natural sea salt, lactic acid culture|
|Food pairing||Pizza, breads, dip in Makalo (a Macedonian dish)|
|Texture||Firm, dry, crumbly|
Batzos is the oldest hard white cheese in Greek history.
It is dry and crumbly with acidity from the sheep’s or goat’s milk used for its production.
The profound saltiness is due to the cheese being submerge in brine for at least 3 months.
History of Batzos Cheese
Batzos is a historical cheese and was created many centuries ago in the mountains of northwestern Greece. Its name was derived from the Vlach word for mountain huts.
Back then, it was a popular travel dish for nourishment among nomads during transhumance as the cheese firm-texture allowed for easy transportation.
It was consumed in its natural state or roasted over a fire.
How to Enjoy Batzos Cheese (PAIRING)
This is one of the most versatile cheeses in Greek which makes it a good addition to pizzas, toasts, bakes dishes or even plain crackers.
The folks in Macedonia also dipped this cheese in a local-made gravy called makalo which consists of tomato puree, seasonings, oil (stock), and/or garlic (optional).
If you want something more bizarre, you can also make Batzos a memorable appetizer by shallow-frying this cheese (also known aa Saganaki).
Saganaki is not only possible but incredibly ideal due to Batzos’s taste and texture.
Our favorite thin cracker to go with Batzos cheese:
- GUILT-FREE SNACKING ENCOURAGED: Give in to those snack cravings with a hearty dose of brown rice! Filled with whole grains plus an easy-to-read ingredient list, Lundberg Organic Salt-Free Thin Stackers will satisfy more than just your stomach.
- THOUGHTFULLY CRAFTED: Lundberg Rice Cakes are made with organic grains & carefully crafted to be thin, lightly crunchy, & full of flavor. These snacks are a guilt-free treat the whole family can enjoy for lip-smacking, fun snacking.
- GOOD FROM THE GRAIN UP: This product is Non-GMO Project Verified, USDA Certified Organic, gluten-free, 100% whole grain, vegan, & kosher. At Lundberg Family Farms, we strive to make every bite of our grains as healthful as they are delicious.
- LEAVE THE LAND BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT: There’s more to food than flavor. Our focus on organic, non-GMO & diverse grains helps create a food system that doesn't drain our earth’s resources, & that puts meals on your table of the highest quality.
- CULTIVATING A FAMILY TRADITION: For over four generations, the Lundberg family has produced high-quality organic rice products. Our mission is to honor our family farming legacy by nourishing, conserving, & innovating for a healthier world.
Where to buy Batzos:
- Miafetafetabar.gr – €4.20 for 155 g
More Cheeses From Greece:
Last update on 2023-01-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API