|Country of Origin||France|
|Age||3 to 4 months|
|Milk||Raw cow’s milk|
|Weight and shape||5 to 7 kg (11 to 15 lb), Round|
|Size||Diameter 30 to 40 cm, Height 4.5 to 7.5 cm|
|Aroma||Pungent, earthy, mushroom|
|Taste||Mild, milky, buttery, hints of mushroom and grass|
|Pairing||Gamay, Roussillon, Madiran, Bordeaux|
|Texture||Semi-soft, supple, yielding|
|Color||Either creamy ivory white or light brownish yellow|
Bethmale is a historical cheese that dates back to the 12th century when King Louis VI was a huge fan of the cheese hence the royal seal of approval you see on the packaging.
Produced in the Pyrénées region of southern France, Bethmale is one of the most recognizable and well-known cheese is the region. It is named after village where it is made.
Bethmale was once known as the ‘fat cheese of Saint-Girons’ due to the fact that the interior glows with fat when slice.
Bethmale Tasting Notes
The flavor, taste and aroma of Bethmale wildly differs depending on its age and how it is being produced. With age, the cheese becomes more robust in flavor and tense in texture.
In general, Bethmale taste exceptionally mild compared to other cow’s milk cheeses in the region. It has a slight milky, buttery taste with hints of wood, grass and mushroom.
It produces a pleasant pungent with a mix of earthy and cellar-like aroma.
Industrial varieties are relatively milder, while farmstead varieties have a more pronounced taste.
How to Enjoy (PAIRING)
Bathmale goes extremely well with a variety of beverages and foods due to its kind and pleasant taste.
It is suitable for melting and grilling and goes well with meat, hearty breads, crackers and even fruits such as melon, orange, apple, plum and banana.
This cheese is a good companion of all fruity and robust wines of Fitou and full-bodied red such as Bordeaux and Malbec. Regional wines such as Roussillon, Madiran, Collioure and Corbières are excellent choices too.
Our favorite unsalted rice cracker to go along with Bethmale for a quick healthy snack:
- BROWN RICE CRACKERS: These whole grain rice crackers are oven baked, not fried. They're gluten free, fat free & sodium free & crafted from a blend of 85% organic brown rice and 15% organic white rice.
- GREAT FOR SNACKING & PARTIES: Our Brown Rice Snaps are crisp and delicious for scrumptious snacking straight from the package. Serve them with dips or top them with spreads to complement any event.
- SUSTAINABLY FARMED: We support organic & sustainable farming that avoids GMOs & pesticides. We're proud participants in the Non-GMO Project & want our consumers to know where their food comes from.
- SUPPORT FOR SPECIAL DIETS: Our vegetarian products are ethically sourced & suitable for many special diets including vegan, gluten free, paleo, keto, kosher, organic & low sodium.
- OUR COMMITMENT TO HEALTHY OPTIONS: Our company was born out of a commitment to create delicious & healthy vegetarian foods with convenient preparation for those with busy, health-aware lifestyles.
Where to Buy Bethmale:
Fromages – 7 oz for €6.90
More Cheeses from France:
Last update on 2021-11-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API