|Country of Origin||France|
|Age||Around 2 to 3 months|
|Weight and shape||5 to 6 kg (11 lb to 13 lb, 3 oz), Wheel|
|Size||Diameter 30 cm, Height 7.5 to 30 cm|
|Aroma||Mild, nutty, cellar, earthy|
|Taste||Acidic, savory, nature, buttery, creamy|
|Pairing||Regional red wine such as Beaujolais or Burgundy|
|Texture||Creamy, crumbly dense, supple|
|Color||Paste: butter-yellow to ivory (with greeny-blue veins); Rind: brown|
Blue du Gex Haut Jura, also known as Bleu de Gex (for short) or Bleu de Septmoncel, is an unusual dense blue cheese that was granted AOC status in 1977.
The cheese is produced in small traditional dairy farms using milk from two different breeds of cows grazing the pastures of the Jura alps.
Did you know?
Blue du Haut Jura’s rind must have the word Gex embossed on it because it is AOP protected – which proves the origin of the milk and that the cheese is produced at the highest standard.
Bleu de Gex Tasting Notes
The Jura mountains grasses and flowers (which pass through the milk) gives the cheese its soft interior with mild, acidic, nutty and buttery taste accompanied by hints of spicy, peppery notes that come from the greeny-blue veins.
This results in a pleasant and balance flavor which makes this a highly sought-after cheese in Europe.
How to Enjoy (PAIRING)
It goes well with boiled potatoes, pastas and most gratin dishes. Furthermore, it can be used in fondues (though not as popular).
You can also pair this cheese with plain gluten-free rice crackers for a quick and easy snack.
For the best wine pairing, go for fruity regional red wine such as Beaujolais or Burgundy.
Our favorite plain gluten-free rice crackers to go along with Bleu de Gex:
- DELICIOUS SNACK: Thin and crunchy with enough salt to fill your salty snack cravings, but simple enough to let the bold flavors of nature's original grains come through
- HEALTHY CRACKER ALTERNATIVE: Flavorful, low fat alternative to most chips and crackers We bake our organic crackers so that they are free of trans fats, hydrogenated oils, cholesterol, and preservatives
- PERFECT FOR PAIRING: Perfect for pairing with dips, soups, and salads
- 25 YEARS OF SESMARK: Our fresh, authentic taste, sesame based hearty flavors and unique crunch have make our gluten free crackers perfect for snacking
- SHELF STABLE: Gluten-free crackers are good to eat for up to 5 months after arrival
Where to Buy Bleu de Gex:
More Cheeses from France:
Last update on 2023-01-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API