|Country of Origin||France|
|Age||2 to 3 months|
|Weight and shape||5 to 6 kg (11 lb to 13 lb 4 oz), Wheel|
|Size||Diameter 15 cm (12 inches), Height 7.5 cm (3 inches)|
|Aroma||Nutty, Milky, Intense, Earthy|
|Taste||Creamy, sweet with a hint of hazelnut|
|Pairing||Aperitifs, Cahors, Sauternes, Quiches, Soufflés, Walnut bread|
|Texture||Soft, supple, creamy, crumbly|
|Color||White-browny rind; pale yellow paste|
Bleu du Vercors-Sassenage is a cheese named after the town of Sassenage where citizens were told to pay their taxes in cheeses in the 14th century.
It is AOC protected since 1998 and unlike most traditional blues, this cheese is made of a mix of raw milk and last evening cow’s milk and it is also lightly pressed which gives it a supple texture.
Bleu du Vercors-Sassenage Tasting Notes
The cheese is marked with irregular thick streaks and blue patches. It has a slightly bitter aftertaste but the creamy, sweet buttery taste with a hint of hazelnut sort of balances out the flavor perfectly.
How to Enjoy Bleu du Vercors-Sassenage
Bleu du Vercors-Sassenage is usually enjoyed with aperitifs as an appetiser or eaten at the end of a meal as a dessert.
It is suitable for cheeseboards and can also be found in many recipes such as quiches and soufflés – which assist in bringing out the flavor.
The cheese can be enjoyed in a raclette dish named “Vercouline”, and is used in a number of sauces.
Bleu du Vercors-Sassenage goes well with Chatillon en Diois (light and fruity), Cahors or Sauternes wine.
For quick snacks, eat this cheese with walnut breads or slightly sweetened crackers.
Our favorite crackers to go along with Bleu du Vercors-Sassenage:
- Crispy, thin wheat crackers that are a twist on the familiar for a delicious simple ingredient snack
- Stoneground crackers that feature organic whole wheat flour, organic whole brown flax seed and sea salt
- Baked, plant based crackers are perfect for perfect for enjoying as a side to your lunch, a pre-dinner delight or with your favorite toppings
- These kosher crackers are Non-GMO Project Verified, Certified Organic by the USDA, and made with no high fructose corn syrup
- One 6 oz box of Back to Nature Organic Stoneground Wheat Crackers
Where to Buy Bleu du Vercors-Sassenage:
- Food Origin – 200 g for $74
- Lemarche.co.nz – 100 g for $9
More Cheeses from France:
Last update on 2023-06-05 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API