|Country of Origin||Switzerland|
|Milk||Raw or thermized cow’s milk|
|Classification||Fresh, soft cheese|
|Fat||8 to 18%|
|Weight||3.5 oz to 17.66 lb (100 g to 8 kg)|
|Aroma||Earthy, hint of floral, has a pronounced animal note|
|Pairing||Salad, Gratin, Dried Meat, Apéritif, Ribel, Bread|
|Producers||Made by only 5 cheese dairies in the region of origin|
Made and consumed by the eastern nomadic folks, this soft fresh cheese is being produced by only five cheese dairies in the region of Obertoggenburg, Werdenberg and the Principality of Liechtensteinwithout without the use of rennet – which makes it the most original type of production in cheesemaking.
The ‘Two’ Cheeses of Bloder-Sauerkäse
Bloder-Sauerkäse is actually 2 cheeses:
- Bloderkäse: Fresh version
- Sauerkäse: Ripened for at least 60 days
Bloderkäse is rindless and feels firm and supple. It is ivory-colored. When cut, its structure is gritty and brittle. It has a lactic and sour notes which provide a more neutral flavor on the finish.
Sauerkäse has a rind albeit a thin one and has a more distinctive flavor than the former.
The Making of Bloder-Sauerkäse (PRODUCTION)
- The milk is skimmed and heated through acidification or with the addition of lactic acid bacteria.
- If the milk has curdled like a jelly, a little salt may be added.
- It is heated again and then filled into cuboid molds by hand.
- After pressing, the cheese is salted again.
- The fresh version is sold for 21 days under the name Bloderkäse AOP.
- After 2 months of dry aging, the sour cheese is made as a matured version of Bloderkäse.
- It has to mature dry and can therefore only be packaged and sold after two months.
How to Enjoy Bloder-Sauerkäse (PAIRING)
Bloder-Sauerkäse goes well with both cold and warm dishes, whether salty or sweet.
It is ideal for salad garnish. Surprisingly, it also goes well when you pair with apple slices or dried meat.
You can also serve this cheese a dessert platter with berries, cherries, and/or melons or with other foods such as boiled potatoes, ribel, bread or gratin.
This is our favorite sourdough crispbread to go along with Bloder-Sauerkäse:
- WASA SOURDOUGH CRISPBREAD: Crispy, airy and full of flavor, savor 30 calorie per serving WASA Sourdough crispbread as a great alternative to bread and crackers
- SOURDOUGH CRISPBREAD: Made with simple, all-natural ingredients whole grain rye flour, yeast and salt for a deliciously wholesome taste and texture
- ONLY 30 CALORIES PER SERVING: WASA Sourdough crispbread is all-natural, fat free (no saturated fat and 0g trans fat), cholesterol free and Kosher certified; Contains 8g of whole grain and 2g of fiber per serving
- NON-GMO PROJECT VERIFIED CRACKERS: These crispbreads are made with Non-GMO ingredients and are a great alternative to crackers; Product of Sweden
- SOURDOUGH CRACKERS: Layer your favorite toppings on WASA crispbread for smart and satisfying snacks Replace bread with crispbreads for a creative and wholesome breakfast or open faced sandwich at lunch
Last update on 2023-06-05 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API