There are many different kinds of bread ranging from traditional baguette, brioche to ciabatta and multigrain loaves.
The truth is, there is no rule to what bread goes well with cheese so we basically tried all the breads and cheeses that we enjoy and went through the regular trial-and-error to determine their complementary.
The most important tip after many years of experimentation is this:
Serve what you like BEST and EXPERIMENT because breads and cheeses are way easier to pair compared to wine.
Interested in wine and cheese pairings? Check out this article: How to Pair Cheese With Wine (GUIDE)
Nevertheless, we still have 6 incredibly useful tips on bread and cheese pairings if you want absolute certainty.
Farmhouse Bread Works With All Cheeses
Farmhouse bread (aka pain de campagne) goes well with ALL cheeses ranging from the mild and softest to the intense and flavorful.
Traditional Baguette and Soft Rinds
Baguette is extremely delicious with soft rinds such as Brie, Camembert and even Chèvre.
There is something magical about the creamy softness of the cheese and the crusty bread. The contrasts work perfectly well together.
Bonus tip: Try wholegrain baguette
It will bring even more flavor.
European Rye Bread and Blues
European Rye bread (aka pain de seigle) is surprisingly delicious with blue cheeses such as Roquefort and Gorgonzola.
The dense and mild sour rye is the perfect complement to blues’ tangy aromas.
Our favorite German Rye Bread to pair with blue cheeses:
- Kosher Certified by BCS All Natural | Protective Double Wrap Package | Baked With Mountain .Enjoy Bavarian Breads Sunflower Seed Rye Bread. Certified By
- Delicious and good for you the best combination. Genuine Bavarian breads are made without preservatives and are high in fiber for those who need to bring their cholesterol down
- Keep bread stored in a cool, dry area until opened then refrigerate. Also delicious when toasted! Serve with your favorite topping and enjoy the dense texture.
- Sunflower seed, organic is a healthy, natural and delicious bread. Made with natural ingredients, this bread is free of unnatural and unnecessary additives.
- This product is kosher and lactose free. Each bag of genuine bread, sunflower seed, organic weighs 17.6 ounce with 10 servings per loaf
Figs or Raisins Fruit Bread and Salty Cheeses
The sweet dried fruit in bread somehow brings a delicious contrast that matches the salty cheeses beautifully. Fruit bread can help express the pungency of blue cheeses.
Nut Bread with ‘Fruit’ Cheeses
Hazelnut and walnut bread partner strongly with ‘fruit’ cheeses such as Beaufort, Comté, and Tomme des Pyrénées.
Olive Bread with Fresh Cheeses
Olive and olive oil bread intensify the lactic aromas of all fresh cheeses regardless if they are made from goat’s, cow’s or sheep’s milk.
Also read: 4 Common Types of Animal’s Milk Used to Make Cheese
Articles you might be interested:
- When is the Best Time to Try French AOP Cheeses?
- Best Drink Pairings for Chèvre (GOAT CHEESE)
- What’s the Best Way to Store Cheese?
- The Importance of ‘Relaxing’ Your Cheese Before Serving
- 3 Tips to Enhance Your Cheese Tasting Experience
- How to ‘Taste’ Cheese Through the Nose
- Why Do Some Cheeses Have Holes?
Last update on 2023-06-05 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API