|Country of Origin||France|
|Classification||Fresh cheese, rindless|
|Milk||Raw or pasteurized cow’s milk, sheep’s milk in Jonchée d’Aunis, goat’s milk in Niort|
|Weight||4.25 to 4.5 oz (120 to 130 g)|
|Length||8 inches (20 cm)|
|Thickness||1.125 to 1.5 inches (3 to 4 cm)|
|Calories||400 calories / 100 g|
|Aroma||Fresh, lactic, some selections are scented with bitter almond|
|Taste||Sweet, milky, hint of sourness|
|Sweet Pairing||Honey, jam, coulis (strawberry, raspberry, blackberry)|
|Herbs pairing||Mint leaves, parsley, chives, garlic|
|Beverage pairing||Aperitifs, pineau des Charentes, cognac|
|Texture (outer layer)||Firm|
|Texture (inner layer)||Soft, creamy|
|History||Dated back to medieval times|
Jonchée is a classic cheese dated back to the Middle Age and was often served at large banquets in the court of Charles VII in the 15th century.
This cheese has an elongated shape and is wrapped in a cattail-leaf casing (either natural or plastic).
It must be consumed within 24 hours of its production.
To date, there are very few producers of Jonchée, and all are located within a triangle of the towns of Rochefort, Royan, and La Rochelle.
The milk curdles in 20 minutes and produces a fresh cheese that is particularly sweet, creamy, and milk (some selections are scented with bitter almond).
How to Enjoy Jonchée (PAIRING)
Today, Jonchée is often served as a dessert along with honey or jam. During summer time, it is frequently paired with berries-made coulis.
It goes well with sprinkle of mint leaves and other herbs such as parsley and chives too.
For beverages, locals have suggested that Aperitifs, pineau des Charentes and cognac are your best options
Our favorite organic honey to pair with Jonchée:
- ORGANIC HONEY—TASTE THE DIFFERENCE: Take a dip of our delicious organic honey with this pack of 1, 22-ounce jar of MADHAVA Organic Creamed Honey—it's a pure, delicious liquid sweetener for beverages (including tea) and recipes
- INDEPENDENTLY AWARDED FOR PURITY: Continuously tested by The Clean Label Project to ensure our organic honey is free of more than 200 contaminants including heavy metals (lead, arsenic, mercury), pesticides and insecticides (including glyphosate)
- AUTHENTIC, NATURAL HONEY: 100% real, organic, pure honey, direct from farms, fields and beekeepers throughout the Americas
- SUSTAINABLY HARVESTED: Our organic honey is harvested in partnership with organic beekeepers in Argentina, Mexico and Brazil who share our values of doing good for people and the earth
- CLEAN & SIMPLE: Our organic honey is USDA Organic, Non-GMO Project Verified, Kosher, gluten-free, and is packed in BPA free jars
More Cheeses from France:
- Brousse du Rove
- Bleu des Causses
- Bleu du Vercors-Sassenage
- Bleu de Chèvre
- Baguette Laonnaise
Last update on 2023-06-05 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API