|Country of Origin||Slovenia|
|Region||Upper Carniola, Goriška (Bohinj)|
|Classification||Fresh cheese, semi-soft|
|Milk||Raw full-fat cow’s milk in summer, skimmed milk in winter|
|Aging||6 weeks in summer, 12 weeks in winter|
|Taste||Bitter, savory, tangy, pungent|
|Aroma||Strong, intense, musty|
|Pairing||Bread, unpeeled boiled potatoes, trout, corn or buckwheat mush, soup, fried egg|
|Texture||Soft, smooth, slightly spreadable|
|Color||Light-yellow, beige, ivory|
|No. of Producers||15 producers within Bohinj basin in the Julian Alps|
On the outskirts of Triglav National Park, this cheese has been a crucial economic activity in the Bohinj area (and the broader Alpine region) for a long time.
It was made by unsold milk that the local farmers could not sell which had helped them tremendously.
Mohant’s soft interior can be pale-yellow, beige, or ivory, and its texture is soft, smooth and slightly spreadable.
The Traditional Method to Produce Mohant
- Heat the milk
- Add rennet
- The milk curdles after 20 to 40 minutes
- The curd is then roughly cut, stirred, and strained through a cloth or sieve
- Drain whey
- Curd is mixed with salt
- Cheese was shaped into loaves that weighs about 2 kg each
- Placed in wooden containers (or deže) and left to age
For more info on Mohant preparation, go to intangiblesearch.eu
Mohant Tasting Notes
On the palate, this cheese is characterized by a strong, pungent, and even aggressive taste.
To create the flavor, Mohant is ripened in large containers in anaerobiosis (without air).
The gases released during ripening create pockets in the interior and deliver its strong taste.
How to Enjoy (PAIRING)
Mohant is usually eaten with sides and everyday dishes ranging from baked trout and omelette to pastries and cookies.
For us, we prefer to eat this with bread, sourdough crispbread, or boiled potatoes as we find that the carbs help to balance the intense flavor.
For an interesting pair, try this cheese with zaseka with sausage.
Our favorite sourdough crispbread:
- WASA SOURDOUGH CRISPBREAD: Crispy, airy and full of flavor, savor 30 calorie per serving WASA Sourdough crispbread as a great alternative to bread and crackers
- SOURDOUGH CRISPBREAD: Made with simple, all-natural ingredients—whole grain rye flour, yeast and salt for a deliciously wholesome taste and texture
- ONLY 30 CALORIES PER SERVING: WASA Sourdough crispbread is all-natural, fat free (no saturated fat and 0g trans fat), cholesterol free and Kosher certified; Contains 8g of whole grain and 2g of fiber per serving
- NON-GMO PROJECT VERIFIED CRACKERS: These crispbreads are made with Non-GMO ingredients and are a great alternative to crackers; Product of Sweden
- SOURDOUGH CRACKERS: Layer your favorite toppings on WASA crispbread for smart and satisfying snacks! Replace bread with crispbreads for a creative and wholesome breakfast or open faced sandwich at lunch
Buy Mohant cheese online:
- Bohinj.si – 4,80 €
Last update on 2022-09-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API