|Age||4 to 12 months|
|Weight and shape||8 to 10 kg, wheel|
|Size||Diameter 30 to 35 cm (12 to 14 inches), Height 10 to 11 cm (4 to 4.5 inches)|
|Taste||Young: Sweet, nature. Mature: hint of bitterness and stronger aroma|
|Color||Straw-yellow, brown rind when low in fat, Yellower when high in fat|
|Pairing||Schiava, Marzemino or any other fruity red wines, Barley Soup|
PDO in 2003, the Spressa delle Giudicarie is one of the oldest ancient mountain cheeses which dated back to the 13th century.
It was traditionally made with milk that was skimmed few times because farmers in the region could profit more from selling better as compared to cheese. Today, the PDO cheese is made with partially skimmed milk.
Spressa delle Giudicarie Tasting Notes
- When lower in fat: It has a straw-yellow or brown rind and crunchy texture with a hint of nature taste
- When higher in fat: Yellower, sweeter and more buttery
- When matured: More savory with a hint of bitterness
The strong flavor and aroma comes from the pastures which the cow grazes.
How to Enjoying (PAIRING)
Marzemino will be our favorite pairing, however, you can also enjoy this cheese on its own or with barley soup. Eating with hard bread or breadstick is also an excellent pairing.
Our favorite breadstick to eat alongside Spressa delle Giudicarie:
- Thin, crispy, delicious Italian breadsticks
- Made with extra virgin olive oil
- Product of Italy
- Perfect on-the-go snack
- 100% Natural and low in fat
More Cheeses from Italy:
Last update on 2021-09-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API