|Country of Origin||Italy|
|Age||3 to 5 months|
|Milk||Italian Brown Cow Breed (Raw)|
|Weight and shape||4 to 5 kg (9 to 11 lb), Wheel|
|Size||Diameter 24 to 28 cm (9.5 to 11 inches), Height 15 to 18 cm (6 to 7 Inches)|
|Taste||Sweet, spicy, bitter, rich, mushrooms|
|Texture||Dense, compact. Dry, wrinkled crusty rind|
|Pairing||Valtellina Superiore, Franciacorta, Lugana, Sforzato di Valtellina|
Strachitunt is a traditionally rooted cheese that is made from Bruna Alpina cows (brown Italian breed) and by combining two batches of curd – one curd in the evening and the next curd in the following morning.
It is made by farmers in the Taleggio Valley since the late 1800s. But recently, this cheese has been revived by a small consortium of producers who made roughly 50 cheeses per week.
Strachitunt Tasting Notes
This cheese has a robust and intense aroma albeit a sweet one with a hint of herbal and floral.
The Strachitunt has a dense, compact texture unlike many Italian blues. Furthermore, it has very fine blueing and a dry crusty rind which makes this cheese quite exceptional.
The taste is sweet, spicy, and bitter with a hint of spiced mushrooms.
How to Enjoy (PAIRING)
We tried matching all four wines from the same region: Valtellina Superiore, Franciacorta, Lugana, Sforzato di Valtellina and they all taste absolutely magnificent with this traditional blue cheese.
Nevertheless, we truly enjoyed Strachitunt with whole grain cracker for a quick superb snack.
Our favorite whole grain cracker to go along with Strachitunt:
- Delicious crackers with an earthy flavor and delicate crunch for a satisfying bite every time; Excellent to serve at formal or casual gatherings of any size
- Crisp, flaky crackers with a delicious taste that will satisfy the host and guests alike; A great canvas for your favorite toppings including cheese, deli meats, nuts, fruits, vegetables, and more
- Made with quality ingredients for excellent taste and texture; Non-GMO Project Verified: RSPO Certified Sustainable Palm Oil; Contains wheat ingredients; May contain milk and soy ingredients
- Stock your home pantry so you're ready for any impromptu gathering with family and friends; A staple for any cheese or charcuterie board
- Includes 6, 4.25-ounce boxes containing Carr's Whole Wheat Crackers; Packaged for freshness and great taste
Where to Buy Strachitunt:
More Cheeses from Italy:
Last update on 2021-11-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API