Waxing your cheese can keep your hard cheeses a lot moisture in the end.
Applying wax can also help form a protective coating to inhibit bacteria and prevent cheese from drying during the aging process.
Below are the 3 essential waxing supplies and our recommendations:
Also read: Top 19 Home Cheesemaking Equipment & Tools
1. Cheese Wax
Cheese wax comes in different colors with the most common being Red, Black, and Natural. These waxes are usually food-grade petroleum-based products.
Alternatively, you can also use beeswax.
Note: Absolutely avoid using paraffin as it is too brittle and will damage the texture of your cheese. It may cause your cheese to crack leaving a path for air and unwanted molds to get in.
Cheese wax is reusable.
Recommended Cheese Wax:
- TOP-QUALITY CHEESE WAX: Blended Waxes’ food-grade wax is expertly blended to preserve the taste, safety, and look of cheese for future consumption. Wax protection is vital to safely let the cheese age naturally. Coating cheese traps moisture and prevents dryness. Paint or dip cheese in wax without worry about excessive cracking or uneven coatings. Applicable for many hard cheeses. Fully compliant with FDA regulations. Approx. melt point 140°F; dip temp. of 160-170°F.
- EXPANSIVE OPTIONS BY APPLICATION: Extensive offering of wax products to suit all your endeavors: crayons, crafts, candles, cheese coatings, mushrooms, beehive box coatings, leather care, therapeutic, bottle sealing, wood care and more. Blended Waxes carries natural waxes along with microcrystalline and paraffin.
- INDUSTRY EXPERTISE: Experienced technicians focus on providing consistent, top-quality waxes with processes that have been mastered by the company for over 40 years. Blended Waxes’ expansive product collection will satisfy all of your wax needs be it for personal, trade or industrial purposes.
- QUALITY AND PRODUCT CERTIFICATION: A variety of standards and certifications are met to ensure the wax blends meet the highest specifications. Blended Waxes product testing is done to the requirements set forth by the American Society of Testing and Materials. Blended Waxes, Inc. manufacturing processes are certified by the International Organization for Standardization ISO 9001-2015. You can count on top-quality in every batch.
- MADE IN THE USA: All paraffin, microcrystalline and natural waxes are sourced domestically. All the finished products are also manufactured, lab-tested, and certified in the United States.
2. Wax Brush
You will need a wax brush if the wheel is too big for dipping or pot too small. Always use a natural-bristle brush (see below for recommendation).
Note: Stay clear of silicone brushes as they will melt into the wax.
Waxing brush will never be 100% clean no matter how much you clean so you should reserve your natural-bristle brush for waxing only.
Recommended Wax Brush:
- Solid wooden handles are designed for comfort and easy control. The handle is ergonomically designed for better grip with less palm sweat and less fatigue when painting.
- Natural White Bristles is best with Oil Based Liquids and designed to save time with less streaks and premium finish.
- Perfect for Small Staining Projects and Flat Surface Painting.Recommend the use for painting edges, trim, sashes and sills.
- Use on floors, paneling, walls, ceiling,cabinets, doors and tables to decorate your bedroom,kitchen and bathroom.
- The 6 pack set includes: 1inch width straight brush*2, 2inch width straight brush*2, 3inch width straight brush*2.
3. Wax Pot
Most pots will do for melting wax.
However, if you want to dip your cheese into the wax then we recommend at least a 1-gallon pot. This will be large enough for most cheeses.
Note: Forget about using these pots for anything else as cleaning them thoroughly will be close-to impossible.
For brushing you will need to melt a 1-pound block, which will fit into a 1-quart saucepan.
Recommended Wax Pot (affordable):
- PREMIUM MATERIAL - The stockpot is made of high quality stainless steel, non-toxic, no rust and corrosion resistance, It’s durable and strong, No chemical coating more healthier for your family.
- EXQUISITE CRAFT - The handles of stockpot are firmly riveted for balanced grip, and the handle stays cool while cooking, Hollow lid knob is heat proof and staying cool to touch, the stockpot has better thermal conductivity, The stock pot is sturdy and heats up nicely.
- VISIBLE COOKING - Glass lid let you monitor your food conveniently, and the lid is made of tempered glass ,so it is sturdy. The air hole of the lid can reduce the pressure of the pot while cooking.
- EASY TO CLEAN - The interior of the stockpot are mirror-finished, exterior is brushed finish, smooth and bright, non-stick pan, easy to clean and dishwasher safe.
- MULTIFUNCTIONAL - 4 Quart, the stockpot has many uses: boiling milk, noodles, soup, porridge, etc. Works on induction cooker, gas stove, electric furnace, halogen furnace. Not oven safe.
Articles You Might Be Interested:
- Why You Should Never Freeze Cheese
- The Importance of ‘Relaxing’ Your Cheese Before Serving
- What Knives and Tools to Use When Serving Cheeses?
- 3 Tips to Enhance Your Cheese Tasting Experience
- How to ‘Taste’ Cheese Through the Nose
- 4 Simple Cheese Pairing Tips for Beginners
- Why Great Cheese Starts With Great Milk
Last update on 2022-09-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API