Welcome to 2024, a year where we’re not just slicing through the calendar but also elevating our cheeseboards with some of the finest cheese knives in the market.
If you’re a cheese aficionado like us, you know that every cheese has its perfect match in a knife.
In this post, we’re exploring the seven best cheese knives, each designed to enhance your cheeseboard and make sure every slice is a cut above the rest.
These knives aren’t just functional; they’re pieces of artistry that add a touch of elegance to your table.
Also read: Best Cheese Slicers: Slice Like A Pro
7 of the Best Cheese Knives in 2024
|Cheese Knife||Short Description||Rating /5*|
|Home Hero, Black (Best Overall)||The Home Hero, Black, is lauded as the Best Overall cheese knife due to its superior functionality, including a 5.5-inch blade that effortlessly handles various cheese types and a sturdy handle for comfortable, controlled slicing. Its design features holes in the blade that reduce friction and prevent cheese from sticking, making it particularly effective for soft and sticky cheeses, while its robust construction ensures longevity and value for money.||4.7|
|Rada Cutlery (Best Serrated)||The Rada Cutlery Cheese Knife stands out as the Best Serrated cheese knife due to its unique wave serration specifically designed to slice through both soft and hard cheeses with ease. The knife’s specially angled handle and blade cut-outs further facilitate effortless slicing, making it a versatile tool for any cheese lover.||4.7|
|Prodyne CK-300 (Best Multi-Use)||The Prodyne CK-300 earns its title as the Best Multi-Use cheese knife due to its unique open surface blade and lifetime sharp serrated edge, which together reduce friction and prevent food from sticking, enabling easy slicing of not just cheese, but also fruits and vegetables. The knife’s quality-crafted stainless steel blade, complemented by a durable Bakelite handle, enhances its overall utility, making it a versatile tool in the kitchen.||4.6|
|Boska Holland 357603 (Best Stainless Steel)||The Boska Holland 357603 is heralded as the Best Stainless Steel cheese knife for its superior design and functionality, featuring a hollow, lightweight stainless steel construction that rests comfortably in hand. Ideal for soft and sticky cheeses such as Brie and Camembert, its narrow blade minimizes surface area to prevent sticking, while its all-in-one-piece design ensures durability and ease of cleaning.||4.6|
|Zyliss E920219U Comfort (Best Grip-handling)||The Zyliss E920219U Comfort distinguishes itself as the Best Grip-handling cheese knife, thanks to its ergonomically designed handle featuring a flat bolster for a firm grip and a finger indent that provides a comfortable position during use. Its 4.5-inch blade comes equipped with micro-serrations and cut-outs, facilitating easy cutting through both hard and soft cheeses, while its pronged tip is designed for convenient serving.||4.6|
|The Cheese Knife OKP2 (Best Heat-resistance)||The Cheese Knife OKP2 stands out as the Best Heat-resistance cheese knife due to its unique patented blade that is heat resistant up to 430 degrees, making it dishwasher safe and versatile in handling a variety of food items. Its innovative design also prevents cheese from sticking to the blade, while its comfortable handle with an anti-slip grip ensures easy cutting, enhancing the overall user experience.||4.5|
|CUTCO 3764 Santoku (Best for Professional Use)||This is considered the Best for Professional Use due to its high carbon stainless steel 3.75″ Double-D serrated edge blade, which facilitates effortless cutting through both hard and soft cheeses. Its classic dark brown handle, often called “Black”, provides a comfortable grip during extended use, making it an ideal choice for professional chefs and caterers.||4.5|
1. Home Hero, Black (Best Overall)
Buy on Amazon
Price: $6.99 (5.5 inches)
Why this is the best overall cheese knife:
- Versatility: The Home Hero Black is part of a comprehensive kitchen set, making it an ideal choice for those seeking versatility in their kitchen tools.
- Design: This cheese knife features a double-prong design, allowing easy handling and serving of cheese. Its black stainless steel construction offers a sleek and modern appeal.
- Durability: Made from high-quality stainless steel, ensuring long-lasting durability and resistance to wear and tear.
- Efficiency: The blade is fully serrated, increasing cutting efficiency.
- Ease of care: Dishwasher-safe, making it easy to clean and maintain.
- Ergonomic Handles: The set comes with ergonomically designed handles for comfortable use and efficient cutting.
2. Rada Cutlery (Best Serrated)
Buy on Amazon
Why this is the best-serrated cheese knife:
- Special Wave Serration: The Rada Cutlery cheese knife features a unique wave serration on its blade, which is specifically designed to slice through any type of cheese, both soft and hard, with ease.
- Innovative Design: Easily cut through all kinds of cheese. This is thanks to its specially serrated blade.
- Blade Cutouts: The cheese knife features cutouts in the blade that provide effortless slicing, making it an ideal tool for preparing cheese.
- Functional Elements: The cheese knife from Rada Cutlery combines unique elements such as the angle of the handle, the serrations, and the cutouts in the blade, all of which contribute to its ability to slice cheese with great ease.
- Versatility: The Rada Cutlery cheese knife is designed to cut through both soft cheeses like Brie and hard cheeses like mild cheddar, demonstrating its versatility.
3. Prodyne CK-300 (Best Multi-Use)
Buy on Amazon
Why this is the best multi-use cheese knife:
- Unique Open Surface Blade: Specially designed open surface blade, which reduces friction and prevents food from sticking while cutting, making it an excellent tool for slicing cheese, fruits, and vegetables.
- Lifetime Sharp Serrated Edge: Equipped with a lifetime sharp serrated edge, ensuring that it maintains its cutting efficiency over long periods of use. It’s perfect for creating precise slices
- Versatility: A multi-use knife, ideal not only for cheeses but also for fruits and vegetables. Its versatility makes it a valuable addition to any kitchen.
- Quality Craftsmanship: This knife is quality crafted with a stainless steel blade and durable Bakelite handle, providing a comfortable grip for easy handling.
- Ideal Dimensions: The Prodyne CK-300 knife measures 10” long with a 5 ½” blade, making it an effective tool for a variety of cutting tasks.
4. Boska Holland 357603 (Best Stainless Steel)
Buy on Amazon
Why this is the best stainless-steel cheese knife:
- Quality and Design: Made in the Netherlands, known for its quality cheese-making and associated tools. Its sleek stainless steel design makes it a stylish addition to any kitchen.
- Lightweight: This stainless steel knife is hollow, making it very light and comfortable to handle. This feature is particularly useful when cutting through softer cheeses, which requires precise control.
- Ideal for Soft Cheeses: Specifically designed for soft and sticky cheeses such as Brie and Camembert. The narrow blade has less surface area for cheese to stick to, ensuring clean cuts every time.
- Dishwasher Safe: Making it easy to clean after use. This is an essential feature for any regularly used kitchen tool.
5. Zyliss E920219U Comfort (Best Grip-handling)
Buy on Amazon
Why this is the best grip-handling cheese knife:
- Micro Serrations: Features a 4.5-inch blade with micro serrations, making it efficient for cutting through both hard and soft cheeses.
- Comfortable Grip: The knife fits perfectly in the hand and has a flat bolster that allows a firm grip during use. It also features a finger indent on top of the handle for added comfort.
- Pronged Tip: The pronged tip of the knife is designed for serving cheese, adding to its functionality.
- Stress-Free Cutting: The handle of the knife and its soft-touch rubber grip reduce hand fatigue, allowing for stress-free cutting, even over prolonged periods.
- Attractive Tabletop Design: Beyond its functional benefits, the Zyliss Comfort Cheese Knife also boasts an attractive design that would complement any tabletop presentation.
- Serrated Inner Blade: In addition to its outer blade, this cheese knife features a serrated inner blade that cuts uniform slices of cheese, making it a versatile tool in the kitchen.
6. The Cheese Knife OKP2 (Best Heat-resistance)
Buy on Amazon
Why this is the best heat-resistance cheese knife:
- Unique Drafted Blade: Features a unique drafted blade that efficiently cuts through different types of cheese. This unique design allows for easy and smooth slicing.
- Heat Resistance: The knife is heat resistant up to 430 degrees Fahrenheit. This feature makes it safe to use even on warm or heated cheese dishes without risking any damage to the knife.
- Stain Resistant: This means it is easy to clean and maintain. It helps keep the knife looking new even after multiple uses.
- Dishwasher Safe: The knife is dishwasher safe, making it convenient to clean after use. This feature adds to the overall ease of use, especially in a busy kitchen.
- Soft Comfort Grip: Has a soft comfort grip, providing comfort and control during use. This feature can reduce hand fatigue when cutting large amounts of cheese.
- FDA Approved: Ensuring that it meets safety and health standards for kitchen utensils.
- Made in the USA: Made in the USA, which often indicates high-quality manufacturing standards.
7. CUTCO 3764 Santoku (Best for Professional Use)
Buy on Amazon
Why this is the best for professional use:
- High-Quality Materials: Made from high-carbon, stainless steel, ensuring long-lasting durability and sharpness. This makes it an excellent choice for professional use where the knife will be used frequently.
- Ergonomic Design: Features an ergonomically designed handle that ensures a comfortable grip, reducing hand fatigue during prolonged use. This is particularly important in a professional setting where the knife may be in use for extended periods.
- Versatile Cutting Edge: Engineered with “D” Double-D® serrations, allowing it to smoothly cut through both hard and soft cheese varieties without tearing or smushing them.
- Thermo-resin Handle: CUTCO’s thermo-resin handle is highly resistant to heat, impacts, and various chemicals, making it suitable for the rigors of professional kitchen use .
- Excellent Warranty: CUTCO offers a “Forever Guarantee” which covers free sharpening and repairs, no receipt required. This is an essential feature for professionals who need their tools to always be in the best condition.
- Efficient Size: With a blade length of 5.5 inches, this knife is an efficient size for most cheese types and sizes, making it versatile for various tasks in a professional kitchen.
- Easy to Clean: Designed to be easy to clean, which is essential for maintaining hygiene standards in a professional kitchen.
How We Pick and Choose These Knives
Choosing the right cheese knives involves a careful balance between budget and quality. We’ve combed through numerous sources, consulted with experts, and taken into account customer reviews to bring you this selection of the best cheese knives for 2024.
Here’s how we made our picks:
1. Quality and Functionality
First and foremost, we prioritized the quality and functionality of the knives. The best cheese knives are those that perform exceptionally well when it comes to slicing both soft and hard cheeses. We looked at the materials used, the sharpness of the blades, and how well they handled different types of cheeses.
2. Knife Type
Different cheeses require different types of knives. We considered the type of the knife – be it a small spade, narrow plane knife, soft cheese knife, or a cheese wire – depending on the cheeses it’s designed to cut.
3. Expert Opinions and Testing
We took into account expert opinions and lab testing results.
4. Customer Reviews
Customer reviews are a goldmine for real-world insights into product performance. We looked at reviews from different platforms to gauge user satisfaction, the durability of the knives, and their performance over time.
5. Budget Considerations
While quality is crucial, we also understand the importance of affordability. We ensured our list includes options that deliver excellent value for money, without compromising on quality.
6. Brand Reputation
The reputation of the brand was another factor in our selection process. We considered brands that are known for their quality and durability.
By considering these factors, we’ve curated a list of cheese knives that offer the perfect balance between cost and quality. Whether you’re a cheese connoisseur or a casual fan, you’ll find a knife in our list that suits your needs and budget.
Why are cheese knives curved?
- Ease of Cutting: The curved blade allows for a rocking motion, which can make it easier to cut through hard and semi-hard cheeses. This motion provides more control and precision than a simple straight-down cut.
- Versatility: The curved shape is versatile, making it suitable for both slicing and spreading. You can use the pointed tip to pick up cheese pieces, the wide part to spread soft cheeses, and the edge to slice through harder ones.
- Efficient Serving: The curved blade often comes with a forked tip, which is perfect for picking up and serving slices of cheese after cutting.
- Minimal Contact: The curved design also ensures that less of the knife’s surface comes into contact with the cheese, reducing the chance of the cheese sticking to the knife.
All these characteristics make a curved cheese knife a multi-functional tool in any kitchen, especially for cheese lovers.
How do you keep the cheese from sticking to a knife?
- Use a Cheese Knife: Cheese knives are specially designed to prevent cheese from sticking. They often have holes in the blade to reduce surface contact and create air pockets.
- Chill Your Knife: Before you start slicing, put your knife in the freezer for a few minutes. The cold metal will help prevent the cheese from sticking.
- Oil Your Knife: You can lightly coat your knife with cooking oil to create a barrier that prevents sticking. Be sure to use a neutral oil that won’t affect the taste of your cheese.
- Clean Between Slices: Wipe your knife clean between slices. This removes any cheese residue that might cause the next slice to stick.
- Cut in a Sawing Motion: Instead of pushing straight down, cut your cheese in a back-and-forth sawing motion. This reduces pressure on the cheese and helps to prevent it from sticking to the blade.
- Avoid Soft Cheeses: If possible, avoid cutting very soft cheeses as they are more prone to sticking to the knife. If you must cut them, chilling them beforehand can make the process easier.
Note: the key to preventing cheese from sticking to your knife is reducing the amount of surface area that comes into contact with the cheese.
How do you slice cheese perfectly?
- Chill the Cheese: Cheese is easier to cut when it’s cold. So, before you start slicing, keep your cheese in the refrigerator.
- Select the Right Knife: Different cheeses require different knives. For hard cheeses, use a knife with a sharp, thin blade. For soft cheeses, use a knife with holes to prevent sticking. For very soft cheeses, a wire cheese cutter could be the best choice.
- Cutting Hard and Semi-Hard Cheeses: Cut perpendicular to the rind to create wedges. If the piece of cheese is large, cut it in half first. Then, lay the flat side down on the cutting board for stability and cut slices from the narrow end.
- Cutting Soft and Semi-Soft Cheeses: For round cheeses like Brie or Camembert, imagine the cheese as a clock and cut thin slices from the center outwards, as if you were cutting pie pieces. This ensures everyone gets a bit of the delicious rind.
- Cutting Blue Cheeses: Slice blue cheese into thin wedges, much like you would with soft cheeses. You can also crumble it with a fork if you prefer.
- Clean the Knife Between Slices: To ensure clean cuts, wipe the blade clean between each slice. This is especially important when cutting soft cheeses as they tend to stick to the blade.
Should cheese knives be sharpened?
Yes, cheese knives should be sharpened. Like any other knife, a cheese knife will become dull over time and use. A sharp knife will cut through cheese more cleanly and accurately, ensuring you get perfect slices every time.
However, remember that cheese knives are different from regular kitchen knives. They often have unique shapes, holes in the blade, or are made of softer metals. This means they might require special care when sharpening:
- For knives with holes, avoid sharpening over the holes as it can damage your sharpening tool.
- For softer metals, use a gentle hand when sharpening to avoid removing too much material.
- For unique shapes, like a cheese plane or a spade, you might need professional sharpening services to ensure the knife’s shape is preserved.
Note: remember to clean your knife after sharpening to remove any metal particles that might contaminate your cheese.
It’s clear that the right tool can transform your cheeseboard experience. From budget-friendly finds to high-end masterpieces, these seven knives are a testament to the perfect blend of form and function.
They’re not just utensils, but companions for your cheese-loving journey, turning every slice into a moment of culinary delight.
So, whether you’re a seasoned cheese connoisseur or a novice looking to elevate your next cheeseboard, remember – it’s not just about the cheese, it’s also about the knife!
- The Ultimate Guide to Queso Blanco: A Taste of Mexico
- Asiago Cheese: An In-depth Exploration of Nutrition and Taste
- What is Cottage Cheese? An Exciting Guide to Its Many Uses
- Ricotta Guide: All You Need to Know About This Versatile Cheese
- Neufchâtel: A Creamy Delight from Normandy
- The Ultimate Guide to Paneer Cheese: India’s Favorite Cheese
- What is Parmesan? More Than Just a Cheese, A Symbol of Italian Heritage