Your kitchen already has plenty of plastic wrap so why do you need to add cheese paper to the mix?
Cheese paper is a composite material – an outer wax-coated paper and an inner porous layer of plastic fused together. This combination creates the ideal environment for all kinds of cheeses ranging from bloomy bottom to a cut wedge of cheddar.
Cheese paper opacity blocks oxidizing light and is structured enough to protect cheeses without suffocating them.
Wrapping in cheese paper can also help to maintain humidity and release excess moisture to protect against the drying atmosphere of refrigerator.
In short, cheese paper is a fortification that protects your cheese, at the same time allowing ample breathing space (remember cheese is alive! It needs to breathe) hence greatly extending its shelf life.
Did you know?
Wrapping cheese in plastic wrap cause your cheese to suffocate as it denies oxygen to enter. Cheese breathes, sweats, and ages. Cheese is alive and it needs oxygen and airflow to thrive!
Recommended Cheese Paper:
- CHEESE STORAGE: Don't let your cheese spoil by using deli paper sheets, sandwich paper wraps or silicone sandwich bags that are made with non porous materials. Ensure that your cheese maintains freshness and flavor for longer with a freshness extender from Formaticum that is porous and ideal for any cheese lover.
- SAVE YOUR CHEESE: There is nothing worse than seeing your brie, manchego, camembert or mozzarella dry out because you've used the wrong food storage bags. Our food saver sheets are the ideal cheese saver that are similar to a cheese cloths bags in that they let the cheese breath for prolonged freshness.
- KEEPS YOUR CHEESE FRESH: Unlike some paper bags or plastic wrap, the porous design of our cheese paper storage sheets allow your cheese to breathe while retaining ample humidity to keep moisture in, keep fresh, and prevent it from drying out.
- LET CHEESE BREATH: These waxed paper sheets measures 11” x 14” so you can store just about any type of aged cheese. There are 15 sheets in total, each with adhesive labels to work together to help maintain freshness and flavor longer while allowing labeling to be easy and clear.
- VIVE LE FROMAGE: Our wax paper wrap is professional grade and manufactured in France specifically for cheese storage. Keep your cheese fresh with a wax paper sheet that regulates humidity and ensures it is neither too moist or too dry.
Note: If you buy the above then take note that the printed side of the cheese paper should be on the outside.
Also read: What’s the Best Way to Store Cheese?
Can You Reuse Cheese Paper?
Generally, you can reuse cheese paper as long as you are reusing it for the same type of cheese.
As soon as you notice some butterfat stains or if the paper is too crumpled to execute a proper fold then it is time for a new sheet.
Can Cheese Paper be Recycled?
Most cheese papers are made of Polyethylene, therefore, they are not recyclable.
Some manufacturers made cheese papers that are cellophane hence they are biodegradable and compostable in a commercial composting facility but they are still not recyclable.
Cheeses That Are Not Recommended to Wrap in Cheese Paper
Cheeses that are already in brine (such as feta or fresh mozzarella) should be kept in the brine and not in cheese paper.
Also read: How to Make Salt Brine for Cheeses
Can You Use Cheese Paper on Other Foods?
Cheese paper is not merely for cheese, you can also use them for:
Articles You Might be Interested:
- The Importance of ‘Relaxing’ Your Cheese Before Serving
- What Knives and Tools to Use When Serving Cheeses?
- 3 Tips to Enhance Your Cheese Tasting Experience
- How to ‘Taste’ Cheese Through the Nose
- 4 Simple Cheese Pairing Tips for Beginners
- Why Great Cheese Starts With Great Milk
Last update on 2022-06-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API