There are many knives and tools to use when serving or cutting cheeses but not all of them are suitable.
Using the wrong tool can result in an aesthetically damaged cheese.
The truth is, choosing the right knives and tools can enhance your guests experience and help you appear more knowledgeable.
Here are the main ones…
Also read: How to Cut Cheese the Right Way (ART)
The 6 Cheese Knifes and Tools You Need to Know
1. Brie Knife
Brie knife allows you to cut many types of cheeses smoothly without damaging the interior.
Recommended Brie knife:
- NO STICKING: The narrow blade has less surface area for cheese to stick to
- IDEAL FOR: Soft (and sticky) cheeses such as Brie and Camembert
- EUROPEAN DESIGN: 100% stainless steel, cast in one piece
- 10 YEAR GUARANTEE: High quality materials and expert manufacturing mean that Boska can offer you the best possible products
- TRUSTED SINCE 1896: Boska Holland has built up their Cheesewares expertise over a long and rich history that started in the cheese heart of the Netherlands
2. Serving Knife
For serving, it is recommended to go for a thin knife with large blade so that you can use the double-tip knife to serve gently without damaging both the external and internal area of the cheese.
Recommended Serving knife:
- This French design cheese knife from our TopKnife Collection is intended for cutting soft cheese, like Brie, or Camembert; however, it can also be used with firm cheeses, like Provolone or Emmental. It will shine in any cheese table display, adding value to the setting. A gift box is included.
- Blade made of Molybdenum Vanadium stainless steel, precision stamped and forged, is 6-1/8" long and 1/8" (3 mm) thick. It has 53-56 RC hardness, which ensures a long lasting sharpness. Handle is triple riveted and made of Polyoxymethylene (POM), a high resistance and stable synthetic polymer.
- Knife has holes along the blade that prevent the cheese from sticking. Useful and beautiful on its own, or as part of a set.
- Knife is corrosion resistant and dishwasher safe, however, for lasting sharpness, a quick dry with soft cloth is recommended immediately after washing. Limited lifetime manufacturer's warranty. Made by M&G in Spain.
3. Cheese Plane
Cheese plane is the ideal tool to shave dry or hard cheeses into sleek beautiful shavings.
Recommended Cheese Plane:
- MULTIFUNCTIONAL: suitable for grating semi-hard and hard cheese, citrus fruits, carrots and other hard vegetables
- LIGHTWEIGHT: the handle of this cheese slicer is hollow
- DISHWASHER SAFE: the cheese slicer will stay sharp even after repeatedly being washed in the dishwasher.
- CONTENTS: stainless steel cheese slicer
- 10 YEAR WARRANTY: BOSKA offers you durable and affordable Food Tools, of exceptional quality and timeless design
4. Cheese Lyre
Also known as the roquefortaise, cheese lyre has a thin 0.3 to 0.5mm nylon wire with a pretty large handle.
Recommended Cheese Lyre:
- 💎【HIGH QUALITY MANUFACTURING】: With This Stainless Steel Cheese Slicer,You Will Use This Item Very Sturdy,Durable And Long Lasting Thanks To Its Material.
- 💎【EASY TO CLEAN AND STORE】: That Quality Stainless Steel Handheld Sized Product Provides You Easily Clean And Store Opportunity Up To First And Last Using.
- 💎【DESIGNED FOR MULTIPURPOSE USING & EASY TO USE】: Suitable For Different Kinds Of Cheeses,Portable Grip.So,Getting Cheese Slice Is Getting More And More Easier With This Product Because Of Its Portable Fit Design!Also,It Can Be Used For Slicing Butter,Fruits And Vegetables.
- 💎【LASTS A LIFETIME & EXTRA WIRES】: Made Out Of Durable Stainless Steel.Even With Daily Use, That Product Designed To Not Break Or Be Harmed Like Any Other Breakable Materials.The Other Advantage You Will Get That Its With Extra 2 Wires!(Total=3 Wires You Will Get)
- 💎【%100 GUARANTEED SHOPPING】: %100 Guarantee Satisfaction For All Customers Relationships Or Refunds!
Cleaver is the perfect tool for hard cheeses like Tomme Basque or Beaufort. The sturdy handle allows for easy slicing with little-to-no unwanted resistance.
- Premium Durability And Quality - Mueller Super Sharp Cleaver Knife is made of high-quality stainless steel that resists rust, corrosion and discoloration, quickly re-sharpens, easy to clean and maintain.
- Multi-purpose Cleaver’s Knife - Designed to be multipurpose knife for professional applications and it can be used for your daily kitchen tasks, this durable knife's razor sharp and laser-tested blade effortlessly chops, minces, slices and dices. It is suitable for both home and restaurant kitchens.
- Extremely Sharp Edge - Sharpness is key to achieving the best cuts and this is evident in the knife's blade which is quite sharp and will remain this way even after tough tasks such as cutting tough all kinds of meat or removing flesh from bones. The sharpness is further boosted by use of the latest engineering.
- Safety And Comfort- To make it more professional and minimize any fatigue, finger numbness or aches after holding it continuously for an extended time the knife's handle is ergonomic and provides you a secure comfortable grip, not easy to slip, sturdy and labor-saving.
- Superior Quality With Mueller - We are here to offer you only the best quality products designed to make your life easier. If you need any help, please feel free to contact us. Our unparalleled 24/7 live telephone customer support is ready and waiting to assist with anything you need!
I can find no better recommendation than this extremely sturdy meat cleaver. The smooth handle and slicing is perfect for hard cheeses.
Spoon is an essential tool for creamy cheeses such as Mont d’Or or Torta del Casar.
- HIC Wooden Spoons for stirring, mixing, dividing, tasting, turning and serving foods
- Lightweight yet strong and safe for use on metal and nonstick cookware; will not scratch pots and pans
- Made from FSC-certified beechwood local to the Czech Republic; replenishable and responsible source
- Safe kitchen tools for everyone to use, including families with kids baking and cooking meals together
- Set includes 2 wooden spoons (14-inches and 16-inches); hand wash only
What Type of Display Tray/Platter to Use When Serving Cheese?
The type of tray, platter, or board you used to serve cheese plays a crucial role in the overall experience.
It is important to select the right display for the right cheese.
Natural materials such as wood, slate, or ceramic is your best bet.
If you need a little inspiration, check out our favorite platter below…
Also read: The Importance of ‘Relaxing’ Your Cheese Before Serving
Recommended Cheese Board: Made with Unique Bamboo by Royal Craft Wood:
- ESSENTIAL SERVEWARE ACCESSORY FOR YOUR ENTERTAINING NEEDS: This Wood charcuterie board is a must have for every host. The perfect charcuterie board, picnic appetizer holder or serving tray, lay out a beautiful cheese, meat, fruit, & snack spread for your next wine night, game night, dinner party & more! Designed to elevate your table setup, its bamboo craftsmanship makes it the perfect centerpiece for all occasions. The non-absorbent & odor-resistant surface keeps your cheese and crackers fresh
- EXPERTLY CRAFTED WITH YOUR CONVENIENCE IN MIND: Say goodbye to plastic cheese trays and cracker boxes straight from the grocery store. Impress your friends and family with a beautiful appetizer spread on our all natural, genuine wood, our deli meat board offers a clutter-free snacking experience. Features include ergonomic side handles for easy carry, slip resistant tabs for security when laid out, and 2 grooved serving compartments, and a 4 piece knife set easily stored in a secure drawer.
- ENVIRONMENTALLY CONSCIOUS: At Royal Craft Wood, we aim to help do our part to keep our world clean for our next generation. As such, we produce products that help promote a more sustainable lifestyle. Bamboo is a renewable resource, one that is durable and reliable over time. It offers a super low maintenance surface that makes for a clean cut, easy clean, and a sleek, minimal look that instantly becomes decor, a great centerpiece for your next wine and cheese night.
- THE PERFECT GIFT FOR ALL OCCASIONS: Finding the perfect gift is a great challenge, especially for couples or loved ones who seem to have it all. This cheese board makes for a high-quality present for housewarming, Christmas, Mother’s Day, Valentine’s Day, Easter, Thanksgiving dinner, anniversary, & more! Find the perfect reason to gather around the table with friends & family as you get creative with this cheese tray, pairing different cheeses & cured meats with crackers, fruit, nuts, & wine.
- 💰MONEY-BACK WARRANTY: Our brand, ROYAL CRAFT WOOD is committed to providing our customers the best possible support and satisfaction. That’s why we offer a comprehensive customer support program with a 1-year warranty, a money-back guarantee, and 24/7 customer support. We understand the importance of standing behind our products and ensuring our customers are delighted
4 Other Interesting Tools and Gadgets for Cheese
1. Cheese Grotto
Cheese Grotto is usually made up of wooden storage that comes in different sizes. Its purpose is to hold and age cheese.
If you add in a clay brick moistened with water in can assist in stimulating the humid conditions in which cheeses thrive in.
The humid environment will almost guarantee that your cut wedges and whole wheels always taste their best.
If you are interested in getting one, check out Jessica Sennett’s Grotto. She has the best Cheese Grotto in the market.
Microplane is a fine-toothed handheld grate that allows you to create plenty of feather-fine shavings from hard cheeses like Parmigiano-Reggiano.
Thinning shavings simply mean more surface area which translates to more flavorable cheese.
- Comfortable to Use & Built to Last ✔ The Hand Grater has a razor-sharp stainless steel blade that won't rust and a comfortable, non-slip handle. Its unique curved sides make it extremely rigid and allow you to apply more force when it's needed.
- Save Space in The Kitchen And Drawer ✔ Replace your bulky, unsafe, and hard-to-clean box grater, cheese grater electric, cheese grater with container or heavy electric food processor with a single Deiss Classic Zester Grater & Food Shredder. The metal parmesan cheese grater teeth won't clog up the way other graters for kitchen do, so it's a snap to clean. Just pass your cheese grader under running water.
- Improve Your Cooking ✔ Amaze your friends with new, restaurant-like recipes. Add strong new flavours with fresh lemon zest without any bitter pith taste. When using the chef zester with hard cheeses such as parmesan, you'll get a nice pile of grated cheese that melts almost instantly on hot pasta.
- Zesting & Grating Have Never Been So Simple ✔ Shear the hardest cheese into grated fluff or get nicely shredded carrots using almost no pressure. Simply zip the zest grater cutter-knife across the rinds of oranges, lemons, and limes. In seconds, you can have finely grated garlic or ginger or treat yourself to a favorite dessert topped with fluffy chocolate flakes.
- Lifetime Warranty ✔ Deiss Kitchenware provides a lifetime warranty on its zesters for kitchen, grader for kitchen, rasp grater, zester grater with handle, carrot shredder, handheld cheese grater with handle. Plus you'll get the BONUS - exclusive "Healthy Cooking Tips" ebook - absolutely FREE!
3. Girolle or Cheese Curler
Cheese curler has a rotating blade on a wooden surface and is ideal for shaving semi-firm cheeses like Tete de Moine with each turn.
Recommended Cheese Curler:
- FOR TÊTE DE MOINE & CHOCOLATE: Make tasty cheese & chocolate curls in no time
- AS SNACK OR DECORATION: garnish your salad or dessert with delicious curls or eat it as an original snack
- RUSTIC DESIGN: made of high quality beech wood and stainless steel
- CONTENTS: beech wood curler, stainless steel knife and pin
- 10 YEAR WARRANTY: BOSKA offers you durable and affordable Food Tools, of exceptional quality and timeless design
4. Cheese Dome
A cheese dome helps to protect your cheese while it relaxes.
If you plan to eat your cheese within a day or two then this is the perfect tool. You certainly do not have to wrap your cheese with paper or plastic and refrigerate your cheese all over again.
Cheese dome usually comes with a glass cover and marble plate so it can protect your cheese without ‘stealing’ its flavor (like plastic or metal would).
Recommended Cheese Dome:
- Marble slab has nonskid feet that won't scratch or slip
- Display and store your favorite cheeses under this glass dome
- Measures 7.5-inch/19cm diameter.
- Perfect for all occasions
- Hand washing recommended
Articles You Might Be Interested:
- 3 Tips to Enhance Your Cheese Tasting Experience
- How to ‘Taste’ Cheese Through the Nose
- 4 Simple Cheese Pairing Tips for Beginners
- What’s the Best Way to Store Cheese?
- Why Great Cheese Starts With Great Milk
Last update on 2023-06-05 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API