If you are interested in home cheesemaking then I have narrowed down to the top 24 most essential equipment.
I believe that most of the items listed on this page can already be found in your kitchen.
If not, you can easily purchase from Amazon, cheesemaking supply house or your local department store.
Let’s get started…
|Atomizer||Cheese Mats||Curd Knife||Measuring Spoon|
|Bowl (13-quart)||Cheese Press||Dairy Thermometer||Molds|
|Butter Muslin||Cheese Trier||Hygrometer||Notebook|
|Cheese Boards||Colander||Measuring Cup|
An atomizer is sort of like a electrostatic sprayer (aka mist gun). It is recommended to have one (though not a ‘must-have’) so you can deliver a fine mist of mold solution to the surface of mold-ripened cheese.
This will help minimize and stabilize moisture as too much moisture can result in the growth of undesirable mold.
- 【New Sprayer Gun 】The smooth body allows you hand to feel comfortable with the ergonomic design of the handle anywhere, and wireless easy to carry. Equipped with built-in battery and 6 strong blue light grains, it can be used for disinfection conveniently, and effectively assist the sterilization function. This Sprayer Gun is safer and quieter than other large sprayers.
- 【 Charging Design 】Cordless model 2600MAH lithium battery powered wireless nano Charging Design, 2H charge, continuous working time up to 3 hours.
- 【27oz Large Capacity 】Disinfectant Mist Gun is Large container design, can disinfect a larger area one time!
- 【Adjustable 】Our Disinfectant Mist Gun can adjust the amount of spray by turning the switch on the handle.Meet the needs of spray disinfection in different scenarios.
- 【 Widely Used 】Widely Used In addition to disinfecting and removing odors in homes, schools, companies, transportation,Hotel or Garden etc, you can also add other liquids to the spray bottle for garden plants, Besides, it can also be used in salons, effective for hair moisturizing and care.
2. Bowl (13-quart)
Many people, when starting out, use a pot of milk in a sink full of hot water. This is not recommended because:
- It is extremely inconvenient
- It may damage your sink
- Requires you to use more hot water than necessary.
On the other hand, you can use a 13-quart bowl.
Simply place the pot of milk in the 13-quart bowl and add hot water to the bowl.
Now you have a convenient hot-water-jacketed cheese vat on your table.
Recommended 13-quart Bowl:
- Winco products are made to meet the high demands of a kitchen
- Trusted and reliable
- Winco products range from tabletop to kitchen utensils to food preparation supplies
- Winco products are used by all foodservice and hospitality industry experts worldwide
- Good quality product
3. Butter Muslin
A tighter weaver than cheesecloth and Butter Muslin is essential for draining soft cheeses. Soft cheese must always be drained in better muslin. This can also be used interchangeably in hard-cheese making.
Recommended Butter Muslin:
- [Pure cotton & SGS Certified] XelNaga Muslin Cloths is made from 100% unbleached food-grade cotton. Safe, biodegradable, environmentally friendly, soft surface, comfortable feel, good breathability. It is tested by SGS, one of the most trusted institutions in safety testing to make sure the cheese cloth is heavy metal free and 100% food contact safe.
- [Perfect Size & No Need Cutting] The package contains 5 muslin cloths. The size of each cloth is 50cm x 50cm (19.7" x 19.7"), which is most common size for daily use. The effective size make it works well, you needn't cut the cloth any more.
- Durable & Reusable &Washable: XelNaga Muslin Cloths is reusable many times over, unlike others that just for one-time use. Our muslin cloths stand out the durability and long lifespan of the cloth. Our muslin cloth is lint free, washable and easy to clean. You only need to clean it with a mild detergent and warm water. Scrub between your hands until the cheesecloth is clean. If it has picked up small particles, you can boil for up to 15 minutes until it looks clean.
- [Wide Application] Our muslin cloth is high quality food grade, there is no color will dye over the foods at all. It is a very versatile tool for household cooking and chef's ingredients preparation. It can be used to filter various foods, almond milk, milk, soy milk, fruit juice, or yogurt, nut milk and kombucha. It is also useful for bone broth, steaming poultry, basting turkey, roasting chicken, decanting wine, straining soup stocks and custards, pressing tofu, making soft cheeses etc.
- [100% Satisfaction Guarantee] Life-time friendly customer service. If anything not satisfied, contact us, we will help you to deal with it immediately, and you will get a full refund, no questions asked! Your satisfaction drives us forward！
This is used to drain curds and line molds for hard cheeses. Nevertheless, most cheesecloth you find in the department store is not woven tightly enough for cheesemaking hence you may lose your precious curds through those large holes.
This is what we recommend:
- Grade 90 cheesecloth - 100% grade 90 cheesecloth is much higher and better quality compared to lower grades such as grade 50 or grade 60, and this cheesecloth can be washed and reused, unlike other cheesecloth brands and substitutes which just for one-time use
- DIY CUTTING - The cheesecloth is 1 yards wide and 2 yards long with no precut, you can simply cut it according to how much you need to use freely as spice bags or nut milk bags, minimize waste a lot, and the earth will thank you for all your love
- HIGHEST QUALITY & LINT FREE - Only pure cotton(virgin) is used with in our cheesecloth. That means you will never get recycled fibers or other impurities in the cloth, so you can use with complete confidence
- MANY HOUSEHOLD USES - The cheesecloth can be used in a great number of different household and professional applications. Spice bags, canning, kombucha scoby, cheese, yoghurt and wine making, keeping chicken or fish intact when poaching, roasting turkey or chicken, squeezing citrus juice without seeds, fine surface polishing, staining, cleaning, dusting, Halloween decoration, ghostmaking.
- SATISFACTION - We know you will love our cheesecloth! We stand by our product with a No-Risk 100% Manufacturer's Money-back . If you are unhappy with your purchase for your reason, get your money back - no questions asked. Click "Add To Cart" Now, there’s nothing to lose!
5. Cheese Boards
Cheese boards are not just for serving, they can also be used as a draining platform and for making mold sandwich for cheeses such as Brie, Camembert, and Coulommisers.
You can go for woods such as:
- Clear pine
But absolutely avoid:
We are currently using this bamboo cheese board:
- 🧀 THE IDEAL CHEESE PLATTER: Whether you need a charcuterie board or charcuterie board set or a picnic or a serving tray for your wine and cheese night, this versatile cheese board will spruce up any event! Due to the non-absorbent and odor-free surface, you’ll never have to worry about your crackers tasting like blue cheese. It is a thoughtful house warming gifts, new home
- 🧀 CLUTTER-FREE FUN: The efficient design lets you make the most of your dining space without your guests feeling cramped and cluttered. Intentionally designed, this unique cutlery set features a hidden internal drawer for storage of serving accessories to ensure the optimal hosting experience. Allowing you and your guests to enjoy your next gathering in a space with knives are securely stowed away.
- 🧀 GREAT FOR PAIRING: Ever dreamed of hosting your own tasting? Gather around the table with your friends and get creative while setting up the perfect cheese tray! Pair different cheeses with fresh fruit, nuts, cured meats, crackers, and a variety of wines to make a beautiful spread and a memorable meal.
- 🧀 ENVIRONMENTALLY CONSCIOUS: If you currently follow or are interested in leading a more sustainable lifestyle, this 100% real wood platter is the perfect place to start. The smooth bamboo surface makes for a clean cut, an easy cleanup, and a sleek centerpiece for your next wine and cheese night!
- 🧀 THE PERFECT GIFT: It's no secret that finding the perfect gift can be tough, especially for that friend who already has everything! This cheese board is a low-maintenance, durable, and high-quality housewarming gift or christmas gifts!
6. Cheese Mats
Cheese mats are quite similar to Sushi mats and the purpose are for draining mold-ripened cheeses such Brie, Camembert, and Coulommiers.
During aging, you can also place a cheese mat under a hard cheese for better air circulation.
We advise having at least a pair of cheese mats.
Recommended Cheese Mats:
- 🌟 CHEESE MAKING SET CONTAINS: 5 x Cheese draining mat 200x200mm 7.87"x7.87"
- 🌟 Blue cheese molds are the basis for making real cheese with an exquisite original taste. Unlike traditional cheese molds, the blue cheese molds is easily cleaned due to the complete removal of cheese grain residues. You can easily remove all the remaining cheese grains in the cheese-shaped cells to prepare another type of cheese without mixing cheese cultures of different cheeses. Therefore, you get the original cheese and enjoy the exquisite taste of your cheese!
- 🌟 We are a manufacturer of professional CHEESE MOLDS and we guarantee the highest quality of all our CHEESE MAKING equipment inventory. You can see all our inventory of equipment for cheese making in our store, choose professional sets of forms for cheese making. Cheese molds produced in Ukraine at the factory of the HOZPROM company.
- 🌟 Thoroughly thought out geometry for each form for the production of cheese and drainage holes for the removal of whey when pressing cheese grains to maximize compliance with the production technology of SOFT and SEMI-HARD milk CHEESES
- 🌟 We produce cheese molds for cheesemaking such hard and soft cheeses from cow, goat and sheep’s milk: Mozzarella, Maskrapone, Brie, Parmesan, Cambocola, Camembert, Gorgonzola, Tete de Mouans, Roquefort, Bocconcini, Burrata, Grana Padano, Castelmagno, Cachotte, , Ricotta, Talejo, Beaufort, Valenza, Gouda, Maasdam, Mildziter, Manchego, Radamer, Suluguni, Cachotte, Parmesan, Parmigiano, Dor blu, etc.
7. Cheese Press
All hard cheeses need to be pressed and the good news is you can build one yourself. All you need is two boards and a rock and you are good to go.
If you plan to buy one then choose a model that is big enough, convenient to assemble and easy to clean. (see below)
If you are more advance, then choose a press that provide a way to measure the amount of pressured applied.
Recommended Cheese Press for beginners:
- Cheese Making Press is designed for making cheese at home Dimensions: length 16 in width 8 in height guides 8 in Pressure up to 50 lbs;
- Cheesemaking Kit include wooden cheese press and 2 cheese molds (45 oz) diameter 5.5in height 2.5in;
- Environmental Material Wooden cheese press: natural wood, plywood moisture resistant Metal Guides durable and not deformed;
- Cheese Press and Cheese Molds use as diy cheese making kit ,tofu making kit ,cheddar cheese making kit;
- Easy to ssemble, easy to remove water and hold shape .Cheese press for cheese making can be used in other directions (for example, when squeezing juice, etc.);
8. Cheese Trier
Cheese trier is extremely useful when you want to have a taste of your aging cheese to see if it is ready to eat.
Simply cutting your aging cheese to have bite will literally stop its aging process so investing in a cheese trier would be worth the buck.
Cheese trier is not available at most department stores and on Amazon (at the time of writing this post in February 2021). It is only available in cheesemaking supply house. Click here to get one.
9. Cheese Paper
Cheese paper allows your cheese to breathe and will reduce the probability of unwanted molds to grow when left aside for several days. Note: Never wrap your cheese in plastic as you might suffocate your cheese and invite all sorts of unwanted microbes!
Cheese paper creates an ideal environment for your cheese to thrive, therefore, having cheese wrap at your disposal is a no-brainer.
You can reuse cheese wrap for the same type of cheese until you notice some butterfat stains.
Recommended Cheese Paper:
- CHEESE STORAGE: Don't let your cheese spoil by using deli paper sheets, sandwich paper wraps or silicone sandwich bags that are made with non porous materials. Ensure that your cheese maintains freshness and flavor for longer with a freshness extender from Formaticum that is porous and ideal for any cheese lover.
- SAVE YOUR CHEESE: There is nothing worse than seeing your brie, manchego, camembert or mozzarella dry out because you've used the wrong food storage bags. Our food saver sheets are the ideal cheese saver that are similar to a cheese cloths bags in that they let the cheese breath for prolonged freshness.
- KEEPS YOUR CHEESE FRESH: Unlike some paper bags or plastic wrap, the porous design of our cheese paper storage sheets allow your cheese to breathe while retaining ample humidity to keep moisture in, keep fresh, and prevent it from drying out.
- LET CHEESE BREATH: These waxed paper sheets measures 11” x 14” so you can store just about any type of aged cheese. There are 15 sheets in total, each with adhesive labels to work together to help maintain freshness and flavor longer while allowing labeling to be easy and clear.
- VIVE LE FROMAGE: Our wax paper wrap is professional grade and manufactured in France specifically for cheese storage. Keep your cheese fresh with a wax paper sheet that regulates humidity and ensures it is neither too moist or too dry.
Colander is used to drain whey from the curds. If you have a colander that have plenty of holes on the bottom then you do not need to get one specifically for cheesemaking.
- ★ MADE OF HIGH QUALITY STAINLESS STEEL: This heavy duty colander, which will last for decades, is made of solid, high quality stainless steel, and ergonomically designed. It will never rust. It’ll be your favorable kitchen gadget.
- ★ ERGONOMIC AND STURDY HANDLE: Easy and comfortable to grip.
- ★ DRAINS FAST: The right size of holes is small enough so that food won’t fall through, and the density of holes makes draining fast. It’s gonna be a lifelong investment for your household.
- ★ FASHIONABLE & BEAUTIFUL: A perfect idea for gifts and kitchen decoration.
- ★ LARGE CAPACITY & VERSATILE: 5-quart capacity to hold and drain everything from pasta, spaghetti, noodles, berry, all kinds of veggies like spinach carrots broccoli, fruits, to salads. Its diameter is 10.5”, height is 4.1”.
11. Curd Knife
Curd knife has a flat blades and rounded end so you can reach the bottom of the pot with ease without submerging the handle.
The ideal curd knife length should be at least 12-inches long. Do not get anything less than that.
The one we are using is specifically for icing cake but it works well for us:
- Commercial-Grade 13-inch straight spatula with 8-inch stainless steel blade
- Comfortable, plastic handle is highly durable and non slip in wet or dry conditions
- Spatula gives you more control when icing your cake
- Flexible stainless steel blade is the perfect thickness for gliding over icing
- Dishwasher safe and easy to clean
If you want the real thing, check out this 14-inches curd knife by Cheese Making Supply Co.
12. Dairy Thermometer
Gauging the correct temperature of the milk is an essential part of making great cheese.
Your dairy thermometer needs to range from 0 to 220°F (-18 to 104°C) for optimal reading.
To test if your thermometer is working properly simply place it in boiling water. The result should show 212°F or 100°C. If not, do make the necessary adjustments before using.
I recommend a dairy thermometer with a bracket to hold them on the side of the pot. It is surprising to see that some dairy thermometers do not have this feature.
Recommended Dairy Thermometer:
- 1-3/4" Dial thermometer
- Temperature range 0 to 220 degree F with a degree division of 2 degree F
- 3 Point calibration for +/- 2 degree accuracy of entire range
- Superior shock protection
- Anti-parallax dial/case design
Hygrometer is used to monitor humidity – a critical aspect for aging cheese.
- Air Comfort Indicator: This humidity meter with humidity level icon indicates air conditions - DRY/COMFORT/WET, allowing this humidity sensor to ensure you’re always aware of changes to your home/household with just a quick glance
- High Accuracy & Quick Refresh Rate: This inside thermometer features a high accuracy of ±2–3%RH and ±1°F, making it ideal for measuring fluctuating readings like those found in a greenhouse; Data measurements are updated every 10 seconds to give you the latest updates on your environment
- High & Low Records: This hygrometer digital thermometer displays high/low temperature and humidity levels to allow you to make proper comparisons using your home’s data
- Healthier Home & Environment: This thermometer hygrometer with temperature and humidity monitor ensures proper indoor humidity that achieves important health benefits for skin and allergen; Can also serve as a refrigerator thermometer, freezer thermometer, reptile thermometer, soil thermometer, humidor hygrometer, cigar hygrometer, and more
- Practical Design: This indoor room thermometer features a tabletop stand and a magnetic back, place the temperature monitor on your counter or fridge; °F/°C selector; Powered by an AAA battery (included)
14. Ladle or Skimmer
Perforated ladle (aka a skimmer or curd scoop) is a key tool to transfer the curds into colanders and stirring.
You can also pour rennet through the ladle to evenly distribute it over the surface of the milk.
Also read: What is Rennet in Cheesemaking?
As with all utensils, we strongly advice going for food-grade stainless steel.
If you cook frequently, chances are, you already own a ladle. Otherwise, check out an extremely affordable and durable ladle below:
- QUALITY MATERIALS: Made of highly polished 18/8 stainless steel for long-lasting use
- FUNCTIONAL: Perfect for serving, use this perforated spoon to separate solid foods from liquids
- SLEEK DESIGN: Hole in handle for easy storage by wall mounting, putting on a ring, or a chain
- SIZE: Measures 12.75" long, 3.25 wide, 2.5" depth of bowl and a 10.5" handle
- CARE INSTRUCTIONS: Dishwasher safe. Place securely in dishwasher securely for easy cleaning
15. Measuring Cup (For Liquid)
It is always better to get a glass measuring cup as compared to plastic because you will be using it to measure rennet and you need to keep it absolutely clean.
Recommended Glass Measuring Cup:
- Capacity: 32 oz
- Height: 5-3/4"
- Top Diameter: 7-3/4"
- Bottom Diameter: 3-7/8"
- Maximum Diameter: 7-3/4"
16. Mini Measuring Spoon
Measuring spoon helps you measure starter cultures and mold powders. Go for stainless steel and get the mini ones starting with at least 1/32 teaspoon.
Investing in mini spoons will help you make the most accurate micro measurements for the most precise results.
Recommended Mini Measuring Spoon:
- Stainless steel mini measuring spoons set
- Set includes: drop, smidgen, pinch, dash, and tad
- Oval shape designed to fit into spice jars
- Measurements are engraved into spoon handles
- Hangs from ring or nests together for easy storage
Molds are used in the final draining period and comes in all kinds of shapes and sizes.
This is the tool that determines the final shape of your cheese.
Recommended Set for Beginners:
- UNIVERSAL: Set of 10 molds for homemade soft cheeses and ricotta
- SAFE: Made of 100% Food grade polypropylene
- DIVERSITY: Make different sort of cheese
- Set of 10 small molds for making soft sorts of cheese at home
Notebook is not just essential for cheesemaking, it is a must-have for tasting and pairing too.
Anyone who is interested in experiencing cheese more immensely should get a notebook!
Sometimes your ‘mistakes’ in cheesemaking may turn out to be extremely delicious and you want to refer back to what you did.
Certain pairings that you thought would never work turned out to be the perfect pairings for you. You want to remember them all!
If you don’t have a quality notebook at home then I recommend that you get a sturdy one. It’s worth the investment!
The notebook I’m currently using:
- Handcrafted from genuine top grain leather: Each leather bound journal is specially designed and handmade from premium top grain leather. Artful hand stitching to create a timeless space for your thoughts
- Ideal size: Handheld, medium size (8 x 6 x 2 inches). Easily carry this vintage journal in your daily life and on your most exotic adventures. Features 2 bookmarks to help you easily keep track of important notes. Perfect for use as a prayer journal, writing journal, DnD notebook, poetry journal and more
- Thick lined journal paper: 240 pages of thick, natural 115GSM kraft paper. Perfect for use with many pen types. Thick paper prevents bleed through. Pages are lined with 5.5mm spacing. Note: page count is 240 pages, 120 sheets
- Tell your story: We designed this classic leatherbound journal as a time capsule for your thoughts. Capture your important memories, accomplishments (and failures), life-changing moments and evolving dreams as a keepsake to reflect upon in years to come
- A special keepsake: Give your loved ones something truly special that will last for years to come! Great for a birthday, anniversary, or graduation. The perfect leather journal for men and women
Glass, stainless steel and enamel pots are all excellent materials. However, try to get one with a thick bottom as it will hold heat better.
- Made with Brushed 18/10 stainless steel inside and out with an aluminum disc layered in the bottom
- Aluminum disc capsuled bottom provides even/quick temperature distribution and prevents hot spots
- Solid lid keeps in heat/moisture and creates a seal; wide handles stay cool/comfortable for carrying
- Large size for multipurpose function: canning, jarring, and stewing; cleans easily and looks great
- Works on induction, gas, electric, glass, ceramic, halogen, etc. ; Oven safe to 500F; Dishwasher safe
Articles to read:
- How to Make Salt Brine for Cheeses
- What to Do With Leftover Whey After Draining?
- What is Affinage in Cheesemaking? (RIPENING)
- The Amount of Milk Required to Make Cheese
- What is Rennet in Cheesemaking?
Last update on 2023-01-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API