|Country of Origin||France|
|Age||2 to 3 months|
|Milk||Raw or pasteurised Cow’s milk|
|Weight and shape||2.5 kg (5.5 lb), Drum|
|Size||Diameter 20 cm (8 inches), Height 10 cm (4 inches)|
|Taste||Creamy, buttery, spicy, salty with hints of wild flower|
|Pairing||Chicory, nuts, truffle honey, strong red or sweet white wines|
|Texture||Rind: Moist, sticky; Paste: Creamy, smooth|
|Color||Ivory, dotted with blue-green mold|
First created in 1854 by a Roquefort maker, the Bleu d’Auvergne is protected by AOC since 1975 and is an extremely popular cheese all around the world.
It is often compared with Roquefort, nevertheless, this cheese is made using cow’s milk rather than sheep’s milk.
Bleu d’Auvergne Tasting Notes
It has a rather distinctive flavor to it. However, Bleu d’Auvergne is at its finest when made with milk from cows that have grazed the lush summer and autumn mountain pastures.
The cheese gives a pungent, peppery, spicy and salty taste with hints of earthy flavors from wild flowers.
The strong aroma and the full characteristics of the cheese can be further enhanced with the right pairing.
How to Enjoy (PAIRING)
Bleu d’Auvergne goes well with sweet white wine such as Riesling or Sauvignon blanc and strong full-bodied red such as Bordeaux, Shiraz or Zinfandel.
It is an excellent additional to salad dressings, hot pasta dishes and on cheeseboard. It is served best with chicory, nuts, raw mushrooms, and truffle honey.
Our favorite truffle honey to go along with Bleu d’Auvergne:
- Sweet-Savory combo of clover honey infused with black truffles
- Quick and easy way to add the perfect sweet and savory combo to your favorite foods. Drizzle truffle honey on charchuturie, cheese boards, fried chicken, ribs, crepes or anything else you can think of!
- Sabatino Truffle Honey is now available in a squeeze bottle making our best in class truffle honey even easier to use!
- Sabatino Truffle Honey is Kosher, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy Free
Where to Buy Bleu d’Auvergne:
- gourmetfoodstore.com – 1 lb for $11.53
- stamfordcheese.com – 500 g for £12.50
- murrayscheese.com – 1 lb for $24.00
- artisanalcheese.com – 0.5 lb for $9.00
More Cheeses from France:
Last update on 2021-09-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API