If you’re a cheese lover, you may have tasted Feta cheese before, but have you ever tried its lesser-known cousin – Kalathaki Limnou? This iconic cheese hails from the beautiful island of Lemnos, Greece, in the northern Aegean Sea.
Kalathaki Limnou is a brine cheese made from a combination of sheep’s and goat’s milk, and it has a unique taste and texture that sets it apart from other Greek cheeses. With its soft and creamy texture, tangy and salty flavor, and slight sweetness, Kalathaki Limnou is a versatile and delicious cheese that can be used in a variety of recipes.
Quick Facts About Kalathaki Limnou
|Country of Origin||Greece|
|Classification||Fresh cheese, soft|
|Milk||Raw sheep’s milk (sometimes finished with rare goat’s milk)|
|Weight||1.5 to 2.25 lb (700 g to 1 kg)|
|Diameter||3 to 4.75 inches (8 to 12 cm)|
|Thickness||2 to 7 inches (5 to 18 cm)|
|Aging||At least 2 months (60 days)|
|Taste||Mild, pleasant, milky, herbaceous, salty, fresh, slightly acidic|
|Pairing||Greek salad, fruits, spicy dishes|
|Good alternative||Feta, saganaki|
What is Kalathaki Limnou?
Kalathaki Limnou is a type of cheese that comes from Lemnos, Greece. This cheese is known for its soft texture, brined flavor, and white color. It is made from fresh milk taken from sheep or a combination of sheep and goat breeds that graze on wild grasses found on the northern Aegean Sea’s island.
The cheese is brined, which means it is soaked in saltwater to preserve it and give it a distinct flavor. The cheese has a unique shape, being in the form of a small basket with scattered small holes filled with drops of liquid fat. The texture of the cheese is light and soft, and the taste is sweet, slightly sour, and tangy.
Kalathaki Limnou is an excellent addition to Greek salads and compliments spicy dishes and pies with greens. It is often served with fruits and is perfect for any occasion. The cheese also has many health benefits, including being a good source of calcium, protein, and other nutrients.
Kalathaki Limnou is a Protected Designation of Origin (PDO) cheese, which means that it must be produced in a specific region under strict regulations to maintain its quality and authenticity. The production process of this cheese is a traditional method that has been passed down through generations of cheesemakers.
Overall, Kalathaki Limnou is a hidden treasure from the beautiful island of Lemnos, Greece. Its unique taste, texture, and shape make it stand out from other cheeses, and it is definitely worth trying if you get the chance.
What Does Kalathaki Limnou Taste Like?
Kalathaki Limnou is a soft and creamy cheese with a slightly tangy, salty flavor. The texture of the cheese is light and fluffy, and it has small holes throughout the cheese that are filled with drops of liquid fat. The cheese is often brined, which gives it a distinct flavor that is both savory and slightly sour.
Overall, Kalathaki Limnou has a delicate taste that is perfect for pairing with fruits, salads, or spicy dishes. The cheese’s unique flavor and texture make it an excellent and versatile addition to any cheese board or recipe.
Kalathaki Limnou Tasting Notes
- Texture: A soft and creamy cheese that has a light and fluffy texture. It has small holes scattered throughout the cheese, which adds to its unique texture.
- Flavor: The flavor is tangy and salty. The cheese is often brined, which gives it a distinct savory flavor with a slightly sour aftertaste. There is also a subtle sweetness that balances out the saltiness of the cheese.
- Aroma: The cheese has a sweet and nutty aroma that pairs well with fruits and fresh vegetables.
- Pairings: Kalathaki Limnou is a versatile cheese that pairs well with spicy dishes, salads, and bread. It also goes well with fresh fruits, nuts, and honey.
- Aging: The flavor of the cheese can vary depending on how long it has been aged. Younger cheeses tend to have a milder flavor, while aged cheeses have a sharper taste.
- Mouthfeel: When you taste Kalathaki Limnou, you may notice its delicate and smooth mouthfeel that melts in your mouth.
- Versatility: The cheese’s unique flavor and texture make it an excellent addition to any cheese board or recipe. It can be enjoyed on its own or used in various dishes, such as pies, pastries, and casseroles.
- Nutrition: Kalathaki Limnou has many health benefits, including being a good source of calcium, protein, and other nutrients. The cheese is also low in fat and calories, making it a healthier option compared to other types of cheese.
What Pairs Well With Kalathaki Limnou?
Food that goes well with Kalathaki Limnou:
|Fruits||Grapes, figs, apples, pears, apricots, cranberries, cherries|
|Nuts||Walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts, pistachios|
|Bread||Crusty bread, sourdough bread, baguette, water crackers, whole grain crackers|
|Salads||Leafy greens (arugula, spinach, kale), cucumber, tomatoes, bell peppers, nuts, dried fruits, vinaigrette|
|Spicy Dishes||Curry, chili, salsa|
|Honey||Drizzled over the cheese|
Also read: 11 Best Crackers that Pair Well with Cheese
Beverage that goes well with Kalathaki Limnou:
|White Wine||Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay|
|Red Wine||Pinot Noir|
|Beer||Pilsner, Wheat Beer, IPA|
|Spirits||Whiskey, Brandy, Gin|
Where to buy Kalathaki Limnou online:
More Cheeses From Greece: