|Country of Origin||Greece|
|Classification||Fresh cheese, soft|
|Milk||Raw sheep’s milk (sometimes finished with rare goat’s milk)|
|Weight||1.5 to 2.25 lb (700 g to 1 kg)|
|Diameter||3 to 4.75 inches (8 to 12 cm)|
|Thickness||2 to 7 inches (5 to 18 cm)|
|Aging||At least 2 months (60 days)|
|Taste||Mild, pleasant, milky, herbaceous, salty, fresh, slightly acidic|
|Pairing||Greek salad, fruits, spicy dishes|
|Good alternative||Feta, saganaki|
With a supple and firm texture, this cheese offers plenty of herbaceous and milky freshness on the palate.
Kalathaki Limnou slight acidity is due to sheep’s milk, and its saltiness is a result of immersion in a brine bath.
It is drained in small baskets called kalathakia, which give the cheese its characteristic shape and surface marking.
How to Enjoy Kalathaki Limnou (PAIRING)
This cheese is often compared with Feta due to its similar texture. Nevertheless, Kalathaki Limnou has a milder and more pleasant flavor compared to Feta which makes it an excellent table cheese.
Kalathaki Limnou is usually served with fruits and is a phenomenal addition to Greek salad. This cheese also compliments spicy dishes and pie with green fillings.
You can enjoy Kalathaki with gluten-free crackers (or herbs crackers if you are a fan) for a quick snack.
Our favorite cracker to pair with Kalathaki:
- These Breton crackers are so delicious, you won’t believe they are gluten free! Certified gluten free by the Canadian Celiac Association’s Gluten Free Certification Program.
- 0 grams of trans fat and cholesterol per serving, made with no artificial colors or flavors. Also Kosher dairy OU-D and peanut free.
- These gluten free snacks are made of tapioca and green lentil flour, making them easy to digest with no gluten protein.
- Perfect as a party snack, Breton crackers are known for being light, crispy and wholesome too.
- Herb and garlic flavor is perfect for dips, cheese and more. Pack of six 4.6 oz. boxes.
Where to buy Kalathaki Limnou online:
- Parthenonfoods – $18.99 for 2 lb
- Titanfoods – $16.95 for 1 lb
More Cheeses From Greece:
Last update on 2023-06-05 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API